Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Fall


4 out of 5 Stars
It is so refreshing to see a film that is *new* -- nothing 'borrowed' from previously made work. This is one of the few original and unique things I have seen. Visually it is breathtaking -- I love Tarsem Singh's images. He he financed the entire thing himself and it was shot in 18 different countries with virtually *no* computer graphics -- he does all of his own photography. Amazing. A lot of critics panned it for 'lack of story' but I fear they were strongly misguided -- it is a beautiful story about the world pre WWI. The story is told literally from an adult POV but the images are being interpreted by a young Romanian child -- absolutely moving. And Catinca Untaru? Probably the best performance I have ever seen given by a young child. And Lee Pace, as always, is brilliant.

1 comment:

Walt said...

"I'll be back."