Tuesday, July 8, 2008

WALL-E


4.5 out of 5 Stars
I can officially add WALL-E to my list of all time favorite films. I am so glad I saw this in the theater, normally I don't see a lot of animated films (even Pixar), I get enough 'child entertainment' being a teacher, but WALL-E is did not at all strike me as an animated children's film. Much like 'Babe Pig In the City' (a film where children were leaving the theater in tears), WALL-E contained many disturbing and graphic images, yet still was able to remain chaste to it's 'G' rating. And this is what makes WALL-E so special -- children and adults interprate the post apocalyptic images differently. The visuals in this film are so beautiful that at times I felt like I was looking at a piece of art, rather than watching a story on screen (I love the opening with the juxtaposition of the musical number from 'Hello Dolly' with the bleak image of the future of the earth), and I also particularly appreciated the credits which give a wonderfully charming depiction of art history. I was completely smitten with robot WALL-E himself, his personality, his character, his will, his drive, his 'love', his ability to feel empathy and kindness. And how all of this was conveyed in his eyes and his movements through animation -- it still takes my breath away. The overall story was touching and plausible, perhaps the social commentary wasn't subtle but I was never annoyed. Only moved. I would definitely see this again!

1 comment:

About Me said...

Agreed. I enjoyed this movie thoroughly and found myself in tears at the end. My favorite part was the beginning. Poor Wall-E. He was so lonely and didn't even know it until he met Eve.

I loved this movie.