Monday, September 1, 2008

Zoo


3 out of 5 Stars
Incredibly poetic cinematographry -- a very well made 'documentary' (though most of it uses actors) about an extremely disturbing and upsetting subject. I see why this film garnered such a reaction at Sundance and also received honors. At times I was queasy, at times I felt peaceful watching the images of the Washinton Mountains, but mostly, I felt like taking a shower when it ended to cleanse myself of watching 1 hour and 20 minutes about such an upsetting topic.

2 comments:

AddledWriter said...

Okay, you were too cryptic, so I had to look it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Pinyan

My stomach turned reading the Wikipedia entry, so I don't think I'll see this film. Still, I can see why it's interesting that this seemingly-normal guy took this turn in his life.

Sarah said...

Yeah, it's a really nauseating story but the director made a poetic and really beautiful documentary out of it.