Sunday, October 5, 2008

Burn After Reading


4 out of 5 Stars
I almost didn't see this film, due to the fact that the preview made it appear as a some what light-hearted slap stick romp through Washington D.C. But I was so pleasantly surprised by just how entertaining, quirky, clever, and funny this film turned out to be. And it *is* funny, 'laugh-out-loud' in the movie theater funny', just not in an annoying slap stick immature type of way. No, it's wry, it's at times very dark, it's fast paced, sharply edited, and has a spark to it which I haven't seen in a Coen Brothers' film since 'Fargo'. My only criticism is that I thought Tilda Swinton was miscast. I felt as though she was playing her role as though she were in a completely different type of film. Unlike the other lead actors, who handled the dark comedy material in an amusing-not too serious-but I'm playing it realistic - type way, Swinton seemed to miss the beats and was bringing her classical British acting experience to a film that would have better off with someone more adept at Coen Brothers comedy. Someone like Catherine Keener would have been better suited. Bonus points for Richard Jenkins' performance. He's now 2 for 2 this year (this film and 'The Visitor').

No comments: