Thursday, March 19, 2009

Fur - An Imaginary Portrait of Diane Arbus



4 out of 5 Stars
I realize that this film is an 'Imaginary' portrait of Diane Arbus. Obviously, the title states the obvious. I am surprised that this film was mainly disliked by film critics. I don't care that Diane Arbus (whose work I am fascinated by) never knew 'Lionel'. I don't care that this film is 99% fiction. Erin Cressida Wilson's brilliant script immediately drew me into Arbus's mind -- scary, erotic, beautiful, ugly, demented, sick, fantastical, breathtaking -- I was completely riveted. This is a beautifully shot film -- Nicole Kidman's eyes, Robert Downey Jr.'s unnerving sexiness, Jane Alexander's cold and uncaring glare. I actually thought Kidman gave a stronger, more original and more unique performance as Arbus than she did in her Oscar nominated 'Virginia Woolf' role in 'The Hours'. 'Fur' was David Lynch-esque, beautiful and scary to look at and overall very well done.

No comments: