Sunday, March 9, 2008

Paranoid Park


4.5 out of 5 Stars.
Dear Mr. Van Sant,
Thank you for making this film. It is so refreshing to spend two hours in a dark theater watching a film that evokes image, feeling and mood rather than picking a mundane script with cheap and tacky dialogue (ummm, look at what else is out there this winter, folks! 'College Road Trip'? I'll pass.)
I'm a big fan of Van Sant's non mainstream work (Them apples just weren't for me, I guess).
I know many people will say this film is pretentious. But I say bring on the lengthy tracking shots, the jolting music, and the improvised dialogue.
This film made me feel nervous and angry one minute and then calm and serene the next. The ending? I thought the lack of cause and effect perfectly captured today's teen generation. Apathy clashing with needs and wants, parents who are clueless and out of focus (literally) and a general lack of communication and understanding among peers. This was the first film in quite a while that I reacted so strongly to.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ending was abrupt and left a lot to wonder. Does he get away with it?