Monday, February 9, 2009

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button


3 out of 5 Stars
First of all, I find it peculiar that this film was named after one of my all time favorite short stories -- I had high expectations and nobody warned me in advance that the film had no relation whatsoever to Fitzgerald's short story (except for the backwards aging and the name of the protagonist). I was quite shocked by this fact, particularly in the opening sequence which involved literal buttons and later when we learn that Benjamin's father owns a button factory. So basically 5 minutes into the film I had to throw my illusions out the window. Clearly, this film was not going to have any Fitzgerald-ian elements. That aside, there was much I liked about this film. At least 2.5 hours (out of the 3 hour running time) are so beautifully shot and photographed. I could have watched the film without volume and been dramatically drawn in by the stunning juxtaposition of a picture of a young redheaded child amongst wrinkled seniors, followed by an older red haired woman tending to the needs of a two year old baby. The images alone moved me. The changing images of Benjamin and Daisy. The sunset on the pier, the sail boat, NYC in the 50s, Daisy dancing in a lush park with a reflection of water, etc. The story...not so much. The romance between Benjamin and Daisy is completely unbelievable (and not even because of the aging). I never once believed that they were destined to be each others' 'great loves' (unlike Slumdog Millionaire where I was completely swept away by the love story). Cate Blanchett gives a good performance, but I can't help thinking that she is always playing a variation of the same character (either 'Meredith Logue - of the Textile Logues' from Ripley or Queen Elizabeth). While I've never been a complete fan of Tilda Swinton, I was way more drawn to her character as a female protagonist. And Julia Ormand and the hurricane Katrina thing? That was kind of an unnecessary plot device. But I adored Brad Pitt as Benjamin -- his innocence, his maturing and ultimately his petulance when he becomes a child. But my favorite performance in the film? Taraji P. Henson as Queenie. The way her eyes lit up when her 'son' returned home, the way she subtly glances at Benjamin when she announces she is pregnant, and her stern yet protective glare at Daisy. She took my breath away at times. This film had enough beauty to it for me to give it 3 stars. But should it win best picture? I'm rooting for Slumdog!
(note : I have not yet seen Milk or Frost/Nixon)

1 comment:

About Me said...

Aside from the beautiful images on screen, I found this movie dull - especially it's star, Brad Pitt.