Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Man On Wire


3.5 out of 5 Stars
I recognize that this was a well done, well made, and well shot documentary (nominated for an Oscar this year). And it did, indeed, hold my full attention up to a certain point. I've always appreciated extreme stunts and I was swept away by Philippe Petit's adoration, awe, and absolute need to experience his stunt at the World Trade Center -- especially since he was obsessed with the idea before the towers were even built. I even enjoyed the reenactment sequences -- I enjoyed it enough to give the documentary 3.5 stars. Still, something about the 'heist film' nature of the documentary made me feel as though I was watching something scripted. I've never been of a fan of the 'we've got a heist scheduled and we're gonna pull it off' genre (such as Oceans Eleven). Still, I'm glad I saw this documentary. But overall, it didn't really appeal to *me* personally.

No comments: