Tuesday, August 5, 2008

American Teen


2.5 out of 5 Stars
I really wanted to like this documentary. I thought Nanette Burstein had a wonderful premise, compiled a group of completely interesting teenagers, and found a town that had 'high school documentary' written all over it. But the documentary itself felt so forced and whatever point Burstein was trying to convey ('stereotypes of high school students a la the Breakfast Club 20 years later) but I expected Burstein to take more risks. The most interesting 'characters' were the girls -- Megan and Hannah (and Hannah's blonde friend). So much more could have been done with this -- Hannah and the family issue of manic depression and Megan and her sister's death. I thought it was extremely brave of these kids to appear in the documentary. I also thought it was interesting that, except for Hannah, none of the kids seemed 'bored' with small town life or seemed to have interest in breaking away.

No comments: