Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Girl Next Door (2007)


3 out of 5 Stars
Somehow, I must have put this movie in my Netflix cue thinking it was going to be a trashy horror film. I had no idea that it was a film version of a book loosely based on the death of Sylvia Likens. Oddly enough, just last month I had seen 'An American Crime' so I obviously spent most of Wilson's film comparing it to the former (although 'Girl Next Door' was released before 'An American Crime'). The story is a bit more fictitious, but the brutal horror and shock of the story is the same. I preferred 'American Crime', only because it was more true to the actual events, and 'American Crime' made me respect Ellen Page's complete and utter grasp of the role of Sylvia. Still, B;anche Baker gives Catherine Keener (who I adore) a run for her money. Even if you dislike true crime, this film is worth checking out for the brillianced of Baker's performance.

No comments: