Monday, April 7, 2008

My Blueberry Nights


1.5 out of 5 Stars
I contemplated whether this poor excuse for a script deserved even one and a half stars. And the film poster annoys me almost as much as the inane dialogue that wasted close to two hours of my life. The 'spiderman-esque' upside down Jude Law/Norah Jones kiss was so embarrassingly cringeful that I almost closed my eyes in agony right before the credits rolled. Still, I will give praise where praise is due. Kar Wai Wong is a good director who made a few minutes of really, really bad script (I cannot stress this enough) almost watchable. Any other director and I may have walked out after the first 10 minutes. And Jude Law, Rachel Weisz, David Strathairn and Natalie Portman gave very impressive performances despite the bad dialogue. Norah Jones didn't stand a chance when placed in scenes with actors of that caliber. But overall, this may so far rank as the worst film I've seen in 2008.

No comments: