Saturday, May 3, 2008

Girl, Interrupted


4 out of 5 Stars
In my opinion, this film may be one of the rare exceptions of a movie surpassing the novel. Kaysen's memoir (of the same title) annoyed me in the same way most memoirs about mental institutions and rehabs do -- I found her self centered and unsympathetic. But the 'Hollywood-ized' version of her experience makes a far better story; the film presents well developed characters and relationships that are humorous, upsetting, and yes, completely riveting.

It's ironic that Winona Ryder chose to produce the screenplay and play Susanna, when she was so obviously outdone by Angelina Jolie as Lisa. Something about Jolie in this film film really moved me -- she's scary, sexy, and brutally honest. Every scene she's in had me completely riveted. Ryder is also outdone by a fabulous supporting cast -- Clea Duvall, Brittany Murphy and Whoopi Goldberg also give some good, if not brief, performances.

Fantastic soundtrack that captures the 60s.

1 comment:

About Me said...

I haven't read the book, but I sure do LOVE This movie. I still don't fully understand why the RYDER character was locked up but. . .

I agree about Jolie. She does CRAZY and VULNERABLE very well. She also did a great job is Gia(sp?), the fashion model who died from AIDS. She can be a great actress. Lately though, it seems like she's lost her edge.

Do I remember correctly that Britany Murphy played the girl who like to eat chicken?