Friday, May 16, 2008

Raising Helen


4 out of 5 Stars
Okay, so I know this movie was critically panned. However, I am extremely picky when it comes to social fables/romantic comedies/schmaltzy sappy films. You'd think I, of all people, would be right on the bandwagon trashing Gary Marshall along with all the critics.
On the contrary, I was extremely touched and moved by this movie. And yes, I will openly and without any embarrassment, tell you that this film made me cry. More than once. It's heartwarming, it's endearing, it's set in Manhattan (and Queens), it's extremely well acted and in a style only Marshall can maneuver, it captures maturity, moving on, grief, and the innocence of children.

1 comment:

About Me said...

This story line reminds me a lot of that movie that Diane Keaton made in the late 80's called Baby Boom.