Thursday, May 29, 2008

Sex and the City


Tuesday night J and I attended the premiere of the Sex and the City film at Radio City followed by an after party at the MOMA. There is simply way to much to say about the experience, why it was so extremely meaningful and special to me, and how it concluded a Memorial Day Weekend that was so beyond fantastic I will never, ever in my life forget it.

Some things are better left written about in paper journals :) So in the meantime, I am going to talk about the film and I PROMISE...NO SPOILERS!! Chances are I am going to see the film again when it officially opens on Friday, and then again after that.

I give the film a solid 4.5 out of 5 Stars. Anyone who is/was a fan of the TV series will most likely be quite enraptured with the film. And even more possible, those unacquainted with the four Manhattan friends and their 10 year history may just find appreciation in the sharp and witty dialogue, and mixture of humor and bittersweet reality. Michael Patrick King wrote a strong, solid, honest continuation of the lives of these (now very known) New Yorkers -- his script is on par with the episodes written by the fabulous Cindy Chupak and the notable absence of Candace Bushnell in any of the writing credits made the film stronger. Those who have followed the show have watched these women grow, hurt, mourn, celebrate, and triumph. And true fans have been able to appreciate watching these four actors develop these characters from stereotypes to something far, far deeper. I did find two (semi minor) faults with the film -- neither having to do with the plot. As much as I enjoy the character of Charlotte, in the film she is written as somewhat of a charicature (although Kristen Davis plays a scene in Mexico with such brilliant humor that I laughed hours afterward). There is a scene involving discussion of weight (referring to Samantha) which I found utterly tasteless and I will go into further detail once the film has opened.

Some photos-




Kojo (sp?) That fashion dude on E!


No comments: