Thursday, May 15, 2008

The Visitor


2 out of 5 Stars
I was so disappointed by this film. The plot synopsis was something that appealed to me and from the preview it looked like it would be a well done film. Alas, I laughed out loud several times at just how cliched the script was. Immigrants are treated poorly in America! New Yorkers are racist towards Muslims! "Give Me Your Tired Your Poor" is written on the Statue of Liberty so let's devote a long sequence to riding the Staten Island Ferry! Let's make comparisons to Ellis Island! And let's throw in a random and bizarre love interest for no apparent reason. I do agree with what this movie preaches. But as a film it lacked substance and quality -- it didn't show me anything new or teach me anything I didn't already know. It didn't make me *feel* anything, except maybe embarrassed at times for how the script needed several more rewrites. Still, what saved an otherwise 'cringeful' movie from being completely a waste was the amazing performance given by Richard Jenkins. He was honest and heartfelt and broken and even though at times I questioned just *why* his character would allow all of this unnecessary drama in his life, his dead pan expressions and the look of pain he concealed in his eyes had me completely riveted. Not a great film, but worth a viewing if only to see Jenkins' performance.

No comments: